Total Pregnancy Fitness combines yoga, deep breathing and relaxation with strength skills, positions for labor and fun cardio/aerobic activities. Our high standards for screening, teaching and monitoring of outcomes has helped Total Pregnancy Fitness become the premier prenatal fitness program in greater New Haven-and the first of its kind in the United States.
"I can't thank you enough for all the information and tips you shared with us during class… I can't wait to join your "mom and baby" fitness class and enjoy a good workout."
Total Pregnancy Fitness can begin as early as 8 weeks into pregnancy and continues after your baby arrives. It includes our popular classes:
Dancing Thru Pregnancy® (DTP)
is an ongoing prenatal health and fitness program specializing in exercises for pregnancy, labor and birth. Beginning in early to mid pregnancy, DTP includes centering, relaxation, cardio, strength and education in a supportive environment for pregnant moms. Whether you are a vigorous exerciser or a recreational walker, DTP will work for you. Guidelines for activities outside of class are customized to your exercise history and lifestyle. Your certified instructor is a valuable source of support and information on nutrition, relaxation and education. She is trained to help mothers understand and strengthen their changing bodies.
AfterDance™ & StrollerDance™
is a unique, fun class for mom and baby that includes cardio, endurance, strength, stretch, mothering tips and support from other moms. Work at your own level, making sure that you are carefully getting your body realigned and your muscles strengthened. Life-long friendships often emerge from this time of exercise, sharing and bonding.
We offer this innovative, total fitness program because we know that safe, effective aerobic exercise can help:
- Relieve discomfort during pregnancy
- Make moms-and babies-more active and stronger
- Improve stamina before, during and after labor
- Minimize the need for intervention during delivery
- Speed up recovery time after any kind of birth
- Reduce risk of preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, low birth weight, postpartum depression and more
- Significantly minimize the possibility of needing a cesarean birth (C-section)
- Promote more efficient delivery of essential nutrients and oxygen to the fetus
- Offset the elevated glucose response of pregnancy by putting excess blood sugar to use
- Lower the resting pulse and heart rate of newborns
Who Can Participate?
Total Pregnancy Fitness is right for everyone who wants to exercise correctly during pregnancy and beyond. Whether you were physically fit before becoming pregnant or not, the program will work for you.
Since participants are at different stages of pregnancy, everyone works out at their own intensity level. You will not be pushed to work harder than you physically can and your body will help you decide how much you can do and how energetic your workout will be.
Participants in Total Pregnancy Fitness will be at different levels of fitness and health before, during and after pregnancy. We encourage moms to follow these safety guidelines before beginning and while following any exercise program:
- Get proper screening from your health care provider - Add link to form
- Avoid fatigue and over training
- Eat small meals, many times a day (200-300 calories every 2-3 hours)
- Drink at least 8 cups of water every day
- Avoid hot, humid places
- Wear appropriate shoes during aerobic exercise
- Listen to your body
- Remember to complement your aerobic and strength training with centering, relaxing and stretching exercises
For More Information
To learn more about or sign up for our Total Pregnancy Fitness program, contact us at 203.688.9355 or visit dancingthrupregnancy.com.
Be sure to ask how you can take your first class for FREE.