Employees turn out for first annual
Founders’ Day on Saint Raphael Campus
Yale-New Haven Hospital recently celebrated the first annual Founders' Day on the Saint Raphael Campus.
Founders' Day honors the legacy of the Sisters of Charity (S.C.) of Saint Elizabeth who, with 14 local physicians, founded the Hospital of Saint Raphael in 1907. It is celebrated on October 24, the traditional feast day of the Archangel Raphael, the patron of healing and the namesake of the Hospital of Saint Raphael, which is now part of Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Employees and volunteers filled Cronin Auditorium for the multi-faith ceremony, followed by a reception where posters with historical photos were on display. Some of the participants in the event are shown, from right, Andrea Silber, MD; Sister Jean Trainor, S.C., director, Outpatient Nutrition Clinic; Sister Ann Matthew, S.C., coordinator, Parish Nurse Program; and Richard D'Aquila, president and COO.
Yale-New Haven Hospital is a nationally recognized, 1,541-bed, not-for-profit hospital serving as the primary teaching hospital for the Yale School of Medicine. Yale-New Haven was founded as the fourth voluntary hospital in the U.S. in 1826. Today, the hospital's two New Haven-based inpatient campuses include Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital, Yale-New Haven Psychiatric Hospital and Smilow Cancer Hospital. YNHH has a combined medical staff of about 4,500 university and community physicians practicing in more than 100 specialties. YNHH's York Street campus and associated ambulatory sites are Magnet-designated by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.