Children's Hospital opens Maternal Fetal Medicine Center and expanded Pediatric Specialty Center
Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital celebrated the opening of a new Maternal Fetal Medicine Center and expanded Pediatric Specialty Center at One Long Wharf with a March 12 ribbon-cutting and open house.
The facility brings the two services together in one location for the first time. The Maternal Fetal Medicine Center offers a variety of services including: a Fetal Cardiovascular Center, the first of its kind in the U.S.; Diabetes in Pregnancy Program; and Fetal Care Center that offers a variety of pre- and postnatal procedures and surgeries. The Pediatric Specialty Center, which has doubled in size since its opening four years ago, accommodates growth in pediatric medical and surgical programs in a broad array of specialty services.
Officially opening the new facility were, from left: David Stitelman, MD, pediatric surgeon; Richard D'Aquila, president and COO; George Lister, MD, physician-in-chief, YNHCH; Hugh Taylor, MD, chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology; Cynthia N. Sparer, senior vice president, Operations, and executive director, YNHCH; Lynne Sherman, RN, director of Pediatric Specialty Centers; Michael Paidas, MD, interim chief, Maternal-Fetal Medicine; Nancy Busch, RN, patient service manager, Ambulatory; Susan Maxwell, RN, director of nursing and Women's Services; and Maurice Cohen, manager, Facilities Design and Construction.
Yale-New Haven Hospital is a nationally recognized, 1,541-bed, not-for-profit hospital serving as the primary teaching hospital for the Yale School of Medicine. Yale-New Haven was founded as the fourth voluntary hospital in the U.S. in 1826. Today, the hospital's two New Haven-based inpatient campuses include Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital, Yale-New Haven Psychiatric Hospital and Smilow Cancer Hospital. YNHH has a combined medical staff of about 4,500 university and community physicians practicing in more than 100 specialties. YNHH's York Street campus and associated ambulatory sites are Magnet-designated by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.