Whether you will be staying overnight or going home the same day, on the day of your procedure we advise you to:
- Wear low-heeled, comfortable shoes and loose-fitting clothing that you can get on and off easily. We will provide a garment bag for your clothes. Other items should be left home or given to a family member or friend to hold.
- Bring a case for your eye glasses or contact lenses, if you have them
- Remove all jewelry, including all piercings, from your body
- Remove and do not wear makeup or nail polish
- If you are having leg or foot surgery, you must bring your own crutches and know how to use them
- Any assistive devices you rely on (walkers, wheelchairs, hearing aids, etc.)
- Any medications you are currently on and may need to take during your stay (per your doctor's orders)
What Not to Bring
Patients and visitors are reminded not to bring valuables with them to the hospital or leave personal items unattended, including:
- Excessive amounts of cash
- iPods®, radios, cameras, CD players, laptops and other electronics
- Treasured personal effects
If you must bring valuables, keep them in a secure place or ask a member of your patient care team about storing them in one of the safes available in our patient care units.
Especially for Outpatient (Ambulatory) Surgeries
Outpatient, or ambulatory, surgery simply means that you will be going home the same day as your procedure, rather than staying in the hospital overnight. If this is the case, you'll need to:
Make transportation arrangements ahead of time.
You must have a responsible adult to bring you home after receiving any type of sedation or anesthesia. For your safety, you are not allowed to drive, use public transportation or walk home alone. Your procedure may be cancelled if you do not have someone to bring you home.
If the person who will be driving you home leaves at any time, he or she must leave a phone number where we can contact him or her when you are ready to be discharged.
Bring any required test results with you.
If you did not need a pre-admission testing visit at YNHH, you may have had some tests done at an outside facility. In this case, you may be asked to bring these results with you on the day of your procedure or have them faxed to 203.688.7536 at least 24 hours before your surgery.
Have someone with you at home.
It is strongly recommended that you have an adult at home with you for the first 12 hours after you are released from the hospital.
Especially for Inpatient Stays
Any surgery, procedure, condition or examination that requires you to stay overnight in the hospital is considered an inpatient visit. In this case, you may have a family member or friend bring any the following items to your room after you have been admitted:
- Bathrobe, nightclothes or non-skid slippers
- Non-valuable personal items and toiletries (makeup, comb, brush, toothpaste, and toothbrush)
- Your favorite pillow, if desired (non-white is best)
- Small amount of cash (under $50)
- A comfortable, seasonally-appropriate change of clothes to go home in
To prevent loss or theft, be sure to label any personal belongings you bring to the hospital with your name and patient care unit.