We are dedicated to enhancing the health and quality of life for every person in our care. Our long-standing tradition of delivering compassionate, quality care encompasses a wide range of services including:
- Respite care: for family members and caregivers who need a rest from the demands of providing continuous care at home.
- Stroke recovery: for victims of stroke who often require extended rehabilitation services in order to achieve a level of functionality that allows them to return home.
- Orthopedic recovery: for patients who have undergone bone and/or joint surgery, we offer individualized one-on-one therapy with trained staff, seven days a week
- Quick access to labs, medications and diagnostic services (such as radiological services).
- Chapel and Spiritual Care: There is an on-site chapel for private prayer and personal meditation and weekly Mass and Protestant services. There is a staff Chaplain, as well as Eucharistic ministers who provide communion on a regular basis. Grimes Center welcomes patients of all beliefs and allows for worship, when desired, in accordance with each patient’s convictions. Pastoral care is an optional service. Clergy of all faiths are welcome.
- Special Events: Throughout the year, the Grimes Center co-sponsors a free educational lecture series. Please call 203.867.8300 for more information.
Our mission is to deliver compassionate care with dignity and respect keeping our patients' comfort and safety in the forefront of our service. Our professional team of nurses, support staff, therapists and physicians work together to provide you with an individualized plan of care that will optimize your recovery and restore your quality of life.
Our affiliation with Yale-New Haven Hospital provides access to a wide range of clinicians, including a board-certified geriatrician. Our entire medical team is composed of physicians, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, a geriatrician, dietician, discharge planner, all working together to tailor an individualized treatment plan. The Grimes Center is licensed by the State of Connecticut, and accredited by The Joint Commission.
The Grimes Center is particularly convenient for patients who have undergone joint replacement surgery, or other procedures.
Those admitted directly from Yale-New Haven Hospital benefit from a coordinated hospital discharge and rehabilitation admissions process. This allows for individual attention regarding special needs, equipment, medication and insurance. We pride ourselves on one-on-one physical therapy and occupational therapy sessions, available seven days per week as needed. Our dedicated area for short-term rehabilitation patients provides an added level of comfort.
The Grimes Center is an ideal setting for patients with the following conditions:
- Orthopedic and joint replacement recovery
- Cardiac, stroke and neurological conditions
- Clinically complex medical issues
- Amputation care and equipment
- Respiratory conditions
- Intravenous services
- An individualized care plan is designed by our inter-departmental team of professionals for every patient, upon admission.
Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy
Our licensed physical and occupational therapists work with each patient individually in a modern state-of-the-art gym dedicated for short-term rehabilitation. Therapy is available seven days a week. Our therapists, with input from the full healthcare team, tailor customized programs specific to each patient’s needs and rate of progress. One-on-one sessions provide both the time and structure to work and learn at a pace that is challenging, but never too aggressive. This helps to regain physical strength and mental confidence necessary to safely restore independence and return home.
Joint Replacement Rehabilitation
Total hip and knee replacement procedures have become very common. Most people who have been through it say the surgery is the easy part; the rehabilitation can test both physical and emotional stamina. Our therapists help patients regain strength, range of motion, balance and coordination. Our clinical and nursing staff tends to surgical wounds, pain management, nutrition and overall health and well-being.
Our case managers work with each family to develop a discharge plan that will make the transition from rehab to home as smooth as possible. Our staff will review your discharge instructions and prescriptions. We have an on-site retail pharmacy that provides prescriptions and over-the-counter medications at competitive prices. Many patients (and their families) find it convenient to get prescriptions filled before leaving the facility.
Our new Concierge Program fills patients' prescriptions and delivers them right to the bedside before discharge. For information on the Concierge Pharmacy Service, please call 203.789.4076. If you'd like to use this service, please be sure to bring your insurance prescription identification card with you.
Our therapy team, which may include physical therapists and occupatinal therapists, depending the on the patient's needs, can assess a patient’s home environment in order to determine the next-phase outpatient therapy plan. We can arrange for home services and special equipment to make life easier on a temporary or permanent basis.
- Dedicated area for short-term rehabilitation patients
- Modern therapy gym
- Hairdresser on premises
- Recreational activities
- Pet therapy
- Lounge on every floor for relaxed visits with family and friends
- Modern dining room
- Chapel for private reflection
- Spiritual care, if desired
- Private visitor parking lot
- Secure drop-off area at lobby
In addition to quality medical care, we provide a clean, comfortable environment, along with a range of amenities including a selective menu, cable television, WiFi access, bedside phone and Wii fitness programs.
Long-term Residential Care
We offer a variety of clinical services in a warm, homelike atmosphere. Each resident receives individualized care, according to a plan designed upon admission by a team of professionals from all departments, including nursing, dietary, recreation, social services and pastoral care. We are dedicated to providing a quality of life where our residents are comfortable and receive quality care. Families have peace of mind knowing their loved one’s needs are met in a supportive environment.
In addition to the comprehensive array of amenities listed above, we offer specific ones for our long-term residents including:
- Gracious dining program
- Dedicated, assigned nursing staff for continuity of care
- Geriatric team therapy, if needed
- Varied recreational events
- Gardens and courtyard
We encourage visitation from family members and friends as often as possible, and children are always welcome.
In general, regular visiting hours are from 11 am - 8 pm, but extended hours can easily be arranged with the head nurse or supervisor.
The Grimes Center is located at
1354 Chapel St.
New Haven, CT 06511 | Map
|Grimes Center Phone Numbers|| |
|Long-Term Resident Services
|Social Services Department
We invite you to call us to find out more about our services and arrange a visit. It would be our privilege to serve the needs of you and your family. Please feel free to contact us at 203.867.8300.