Compassionate, Coordinated Care
Our highly qualified, licensed pediatric specialists work with families and other healthcare providers to customize and coordinate rehabilitative strategies for each child. Sensitive to the unique needs of each patient and family, we offer private and play-based therapy sessions with a focus on education and preventative care. We consider the home, school and community in which the child lives before making recommendations for adaptive equipment or other home program recommendations.
How We Can Help
The pediatric rehabilitation program is a dynamic, interdisciplinary service dedicated to providing physical, occupational and speech language therapy to children and adolescents with physical, cognitive or developmental disabilities.
Our Approach to Treatment
- Each child receives a full evaluation and treatment plan specific to their individual needs.
- Family involvement with a goal to promote competence in meeting the medical, musculoskeletal and global development of the needs of their child.
- Private observation room and/or active participation in treatment for parents when clinically appropriate
- Consideration of adaptive equipment needs in all of the child's environments to include home, school, community and outdoors
- We work to match children of wide-ranging abilities with peer-based recreational, sports, camp, and fitness opportunities for children and families
- Preventive care
- Collaboration of care internally with all therapies along with Birth to Three Program, school system therapists, home care providers, coaches/dance instructors to support school enrollment and overall health
- Intensive patient and family education for carry over at home of therapy programs
- Commitment to whole-child management of lifelong impairments
We provide a wide range of rehabilitation services, including:
- Articulation therapy
- Assistance with activities of daily living
- Assistance with feeding difficulties
- Assistance with positioning and mobility equipment
- Assistive technology
- Auditory-verbal therapy
- Cleft lip and palate repair
- Cognitive retraining
- Custom splinting
- Fluency therapy
- Gait training
- Gross motor/conditioning activities
- Handwriting and fine motor skills development
- Language assessment
- Neuromuscular re-training
- Orthopedic injuries
- Power wheelchair assessment and training
- Premature birth evaluations
- Pre-operative evaluations
- Rehabilitation of sports injuries
- Resonance evaluations (with and without nasometry)
- Sensory integrative therapy
- Standardized testing
- Vocabulary & language development
Our bright, spacious, family-friendly Pediatric Outpatient Rehabilitation Center is conveniently located at the Pediatric Specialty Center at One Long Wharf in New Haven. Free, handicap-accessible parking is available for our patients.
Children receive care in private treatment rooms with an observation area for parents or in group- or play-based therapy settings. Our facility is well-equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, including a body weight-supported treadmill; a gait evaluation and analysis system with videography; positioning and mobility equipment and a rock-climbing wall, to best meet the rehabilitation needs of our patients.
To reach the Pediatric Outpatient Rehabilitation Center, please call 203.688.7994.