Among the top hospitals in the country
for pediatric pulmonology
Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital has been ranked among the best in the nation in seven pediatric subspecialties, including pulmonology (#47). The results appeared in the 2014-15 edition of "Best Children's Hospitals," published online by U.S.News & World Report.
At Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital, a multi-disciplinary team of pediatric pulmonologists, pulmonary nurse specialists, physical therapists and social workers, diagnose and provide respiratory care to children with numerous pulmonary disorders including: asthma, cystic fibrosis, chronic lung disease in both infants and older children, sleep disorders, and technology-dependent respiratory conditions.
Family-centered respiratory care is provided for pediatric patients through a variety of clinical services and programs, including:
- A multidisciplinary pediatric aerodigestive program that provides comprehensive evaluation and management of children with complex airway, digestive and otolaryngologic conditions;
- A dedicated asthma care center providing state-of-the-art evaluation, diagnosis, and management for patients with all degrees of asthma severity;
- An asthma education program that focuses on identifying the early warning signs, measures to decrease triggers in the environment, individualized actions plans and review of medications;
- Bronchoscopy, to evaluate and diagnose lung problems, assess blockages, obtain samples of tissue and/or fluid, and/or to help remove a foreign body;
- A dedicated cystic fibrosis care center offering integrated disease management from diagnosis into adulthood;
- A dedicated pediatric respiratory care unit specifically designed to accommodate the special medical and psychosocial needs of children with chronic respiratory failure, many of whom require mechanical support and are technology-dependent;
- A dedicated pediatric sleep center providing evaluation of cardiorespiratory and sleep disorders in infants, children and adolescents;
- Pulmonary function testing including diffusion analysis and challenge tests.