In collaboration with the Yale-New Haven medical staff, a certified child life specialist is available to all children in the hospital and in our clinics to provide:
- Medical play, which helps children learn about various tests, procedures and surgeries and corrects any misconceptions children may have.
- Distraction techniques to minimize the stress during an examination or procedure. These techniques can be as simple as blowing bubbles or having a favorite toy nearby, which make the hospital a little less scary and the procedure a little bit easier.
- Expressive activities that encourage children to share their thoughts and feelings about their hospital experience.
- Developmentally appropriate information and preparation about medical procedures.
- Support for the child and family during medical procedures and examinations.
Art and recreational activities are offered in playrooms, as well as medical play, magic shows and holiday celebrations. Patients of all ages are welcome. If a child cannot come to a playroom because of activity restrictions or isolation precautions, a child life specialist can provide recreational and therapeutic activities at the bedside.
Hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. For more information, please call 203.688.2334.
Bridgeport Hospital campus
Child life specialists are also available at the Bridgeport campus. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information, please call 203.384.3628
Interesting in interning in the Child Life department at Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital? Find out more.