Scheduling a pre-admission visit
You can schedule a pre-admission visit within 30 days of your child's surgery or procedure. Pre-admission visits are held Monday through Friday, 12:30-4:30 p.m. Your child's appointment will take approximately one hour. Please bring any of your child's prescription medications with you. Fasting is not required before this visit. To schedule a pre-admission visit, call 203-688-7996.
What to expect during your pre-admission visit
- When you enter the Children's Hospital (West Pavilion) at 1 Park Street, you should go the Children's Hospital admitting office on the first floor (to your right, just beyond the fish tank). An admitting associate will greet you, and a patient account representative will complete your admission paperwork and verify demographics. Please remember to bring your insurance cards.
- Take the West Pavilion elevators to the pediatric surgery center on the third floor of the Children's Hospital, where the admitting nurse will see your child.
- You will speak with an anesthesiologist, who will perform a preoperative assessment. You will be asked about your child's medical history, medications and allergies. Your child's blood pressure and heart rate will be checked. The anesthesiologist will give this information to the anesthesia team assigned to your child's surgery.
- Your child will also see a child life specialist.
Children's Hospital admitting office (203-688-3331)
The Children's Hospital admitting office is located at 1 Park Street on the first floor of the hospital's West Pavilion. Enter through the Children's Hospital (West Pavilion) and look for a large fish tank on your right. An admitting associate will greet you and direct you to the appropriate department. The Children's Hospital admitting office is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Parking: Valet parking service is available at the Children's Hospital entrance on Howard Avenue for a flat fee.*
* Please call the parking office at 203-688-2623 for the most current rate information.
Yale-New Haven Shoreline pre-admission office (203-453-7111)
The paperwork for admission and insurance for pediatric patients who are going to be admitted to Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital can also be done at the Yale-New Haven Shoreline Pre-admission Office, at 111 Goose Lane in Guilford (I-95, exit 59). There is free parking.