Parents should also:
- Encourage your child to express feelings, fears and fantasies.
- Let your child know it is okay to cry.
- Listen to your child's questions and answer the questions honestly.
- Read to your child about his or her surgical procedure. Our Child Life staff have compiled a list of books that may be helpful.
- Pack familiar books, toys and clothes for your child to take to the hospital.
- Visit the hospital ahead of time through a scheduled preoperative visit.
Child Life Pre-Surgical Preparation Class
The Child Life Pre-Surgical Preparation Class is a free, fun, interactive class for parents and their children ages 4 to 12 years, who are having surgery at Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital. A certified child life specialist helps children and families understand what to expect before, during and after surgery through hands-on medical play, educational games and a tour of the operating room and recovery room.
The 45-minute class meets on Monday and Thursday afternoons. Reservations are required. For more information, please call the Pediatric Pre-Anesthesia visit clinic at 203-688-5573.