The program primarily treats patients age 65 and older in need of an intensive and safe setting. Our complete psychiatric assessment and full treatment program includes crisis intervention, family consultation and rehabilitative intervention as the core modalities.
Our specially trained Gero-Psychiatric team is uniquely skilled at completing comprehensive assessments and intervening in highly complex cases involving an interplay of medical, psychiatric, functional and psychosocial issues. The most commonly treated diagnoses include psychotic disorders, mood disorders and dementias. The most commonly treated functional problems include impaired activities of daily living, cognitive disorganization and disruptive behaviors.
Clinical services provided by our Geriatric Program may include:
- Psychopharmacologic evaluation and management
- Psychological and brief neuropsychological assessment
- Safety and independent-living skills evaluation
- Crisis-oriented family therapy and psycho-education; caregiver support
- Psychosocial rehabilitation/recreational therapy
- Occupational/recreational therapy
- Electroconvulsive therapy (when indicated)
- Discharge planning and collaboration with patients' outpatient treaters, families and community agencies to facilitate an integrated approach and to establish comprehensive transition plans that promote patients' optimal functioning