Trying to understand and cope with the challenges that arise during a hospital stay can be difficult. Volunteers assist patients and their families by helping to make their experience as comfortable as possible. A sample of these assignments include:
- Elder Horizons volunteers interact with geriatric patients, days or evenings.
- Emergency Department volunteers support patients and families in the ED, and also assist staff by running errands and helping with a variety of tasks. Volunteers are needed in both the adult and pediatric departments.
- Heart Center volunteers who have had experience as cardiology patients provide peer-to-peer support to patients facing surgery.
- Recovery volunteers assist the inpatient unit staff in providing services to patients suffering from drug/alcohol abuse. They provide patients (as well as family/friends of patient) with information regarding AA, Al-Anon, Alateen, NA and other services available to persons with substance abuse issues. (Volunteer must be active member of AA or NA with a minimum of 2 years sobriety.)
- Spanish Visitation volunteers meet with Spanish-speaking admitted adult patients and provide them with information to better orient them for their hospital experience as well as answer questions and refer them to appropriate hospital staff.
Roman Catholic Eucharistic Ministers are volunteers who distribute Holy Communion to Catholic patients throughout the hospital at both the Saint Raphael and York Street campuses. Eucharistic ministers should have a solid understanding of the Sacrament of Holy Communion, good interpersonal skills, respect of patients’ and families’ circumstances, and awareness of role boundaries. If you are interested, apply through Volunteer Services. Applicants must be trained and commissioned Eucharistic Ministers and need to furnish a letter of endorsement from their parish priest. Eucharistic ministers will be trained to adhere to the policies and procedures of the hospital and the Department of Spiritual Care.
For additional information, please call the Department of Spiritual Care at York Street Campus: 203-688-2151 or Saint Raphael Campus: 203-789-3245.