Yale New Haven Hospital Administrative Fellowship Program
The one-year Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH) Administrative Fellowship Program provides the fellow with an experience-based, operations-focused fellowship at the Yale New Haven Health's flagship academic medical center. The fellow reports directly to the hospital's President and works with the President's senior leadership team (SVP and VP level) on initiatives of operational importance. Fellows gain practical exposure to integrated inpatient and outpatient service lines and have the opportunity to work with Yale School of Medicine to advance care practices for the hospital's patient population.
The Yale New Haven Hospital fellowship provides fellows the opportunity to build a diverse project portfolio to meet their professional goals. The President works with the fellow to define projects with discrete timelines and deliverables. Fellows are expected to lead and manage initiatives that span all levels of hospital operations and contribute to high-priority strategic initiatives.
Examples of former fellowship projects include:
In addition, fellows have the opportunity to participate in high-level operational and strategic discussions and committee meetings.
- Defining cross-hospital care improvement initiatives
- Building an Air Medical Emergency Service program
- Partnering with clinical leadership to optimize the Medical Director role
- Developing a business plan for new, industry-leading inpatient clinical services
- Performing strategic and tactical assessments of the effectiveness of clinical services
YNHH invests significantly in its fellows and is committed to furthering fellows' leadership development. Yale New Haven Hospital's senior leadership team is dedicated to mentoring administrative fellows and advancing their professional development. The President works directly with fellows to ensure that they have access to numerous mentoring and professional development opportunities that the health system has to offer. With only one hospital fellow selected annually, the fellow has substantial access to the hospital’s executive leadership team’s guidance, initiatives and resources.
YNHH seeks fellowship candidates with proven records of academic and professional excellence who demonstrate alignment with our values of patient-centered care, respect, compassion, integrity and accountability. A master's degree in health services administration, public health or a closely related field is required. The YNHH fellowship experience requires self-motivation and willingness to step forward and engage with leaders and team members on projects throughout the system. Therefore, relevant healthcare work experience is strongly preferred. A strong record of leadership and teamwork and clear demonstration of excellent verbal and written communication skills are also essential.
Applying to the YNHH fellowship
The application process and interviews for the Fellowship occur in the fall each year, and fellows begin their one-year program each July. Yale New Haven Health participates in the National Council on Administrative Fellowships (NCAF) national fellowship process and follows their guidelines and schedule. Fellowship applications are accepted through the National Administrative Fellowship Centralized Application Service (NAFCAS). Please review in detail the information and deadlines on our website ynhh.org, by searching for “Administrative Fellowship” - Yale New Haven Hospital.
Required components of the application process include:
- Complete the online administrative fellow application, found at www.ynhhs.org/careers (available August through October)
- Submit required materials (due the first Monday in October) through the NAFCAS online application system: cover letter, resume, personal statement, essay question response, official graduate transcripts (in the Academic History Quadrant of NAFCAS), unofficial undergraduate transcripts (under Program Materials Quadrant), and three letters of recommendation (in the Supporting Information Quadrant of NAFCAS).
Yale New Haven Health also offers a two-year fellowship position. For more information on the program, visit ynhhs.org/adminfellowship.
For additional information or questions, please email Lyn Salsgiver, VP Strategic Planning and Community Health Improvement, or call 203-384-3946.