Pediatric Physical Therapy
Pediatric rehabilitation services offers examination, evaluation and intervention for children, from birth through adolescence, who are experiencing functional limitations or disability due to trauma, developmental issues or disease.
Our team consists of physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists who work with patients and their families to develop customized treatment plans. Therapy sessions may include exercises, training in use of adaptive equipment or age-specific play-based activities to support your child's development and recovery.
Pediatric Outpatient Rehabilitation Center
At Yale-New Haven Hospital's Pediatric Outpatient Rehabilitation Center, we help children with special needs reach their maximum potential. Our team of physical, occupational, and speech therapists offer rehabilitation programs for infants, children and young adults. Our therapists constantly seek new, more effective, evidence-based therapies to address the rehabilitation needs of our patients.
Our Approach to Treatment
- Each child receives a full evaluation and treatment plan specific to their individual needs.
- Family involvement with a goal to promote competence in meeting the medical, musculoskeletal and global development of the needs of their child.
- Private observation room and/or active participation in treatment for parents when clinically appropriate
- Consideration of adaptive equipment needs in all of the child's environments to include home, school, community and outdoors
- We work to match children of wide-ranging abilities with peer-based recreational, sports, camp, and fitness opportunities for children and families
- Preventive care
- Collaboration of care internally with all therapies along with Birth to Three Program, school system therapists, home care providers, coaches/dance instructors to support school enrollment and overall health
- Intensive patient and family education for carry over at home of therapy programs
- Commitment to whole-child management of lifelong impairments
We provide a wide range of rehabilitation services, including:
- Articulation therapy
- Assistance with activities of daily living
- Assistance with feeding difficulties
- Assistance with positioning and mobility equipment
- Assistive technology
- Auditory-verbal therapy
- Cleft lip and palate repair
- Cognitive retraining
- Custom splinting
- Fluency therapy
- Gait training
- Gross motor/conditioning activities
- Handwriting and fine motor skills development
- Language assessment
- Neuromuscular re-training
- Orthopedic injuries
- Power wheelchair assessment and training
- Premature birth evaluations
- Pre-operative evaluations
- Rehabilitation of sports injuries
- Resonance evaluations (with and without nasometry)
- Sensory integrative therapy
- Standardized testing
- Vocabulary & language development
Our family-friendly Pediatric Outpatient Rehabilitation Center is conveniently located at the Pediatric Specialty Center at One Long Wharf in New Haven. Free, handicap-accessible parking is available for our patients.
Children receive care in private treatment rooms with an observation area for parents or in group- or play-based therapy settings. Our facility has advanced equipment, including a body weight-supported treadmill; a gait evaluation and analysis system with videography; positioning and mobility equipment and a rock-climbing wall.