It is the goal of the Spiritual Care department at YNHH to:
- Provide spiritual care to patients, their families and friends, the hospital staff and the institution as a whole
- Participate in hospital-based, interdisciplinary Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) programs
- Foster relationships with faith communities throughout the greater New Haven area
Spiritual Support Services
One of our board-certified chaplains is always available to support patients, families, staff and clinical pastoral students. A Catholic priest is usually available Sunday through Thursday. Eucharistic ministers visit daily if you wish to receive communion. Resident and intern chaplains and ACPE-trained pastoral care associates are also available to provide multi-denominational, faith-sensitive spiritual services:
For Patients, Families & Friends
- Pastoral visits to inpatient units and clinics
- On-call response to deaths, trauma or other critical situations
- Emergency administration of sacraments, including anointing, baptism and communion
- Worship and prayer services on a weekly basis, holy days and other days of remembrance
For Our Staff
- Participation in patient care meetings, family meetings and interdisciplinary team meeting
- Spiritual, values and ethics counseling
- Support groups and memorial services
For the Community
- Quality education and training for chaplain interns, chaplain residents and healthcare providers through our ACPE-accredited Clinical Pastoral Education program
- Community outreach and support through local clergy and community organizations
A multi-faith chapel on the first floor of the South Pavilion is open 24 hours a day for prayer and meditation.
The following worship services are also held every Sunday:
Roman Catholic Mass 9:30 a.m.
As a patient of Yale-New Haven Hospital, you have the right to receive spiritual counseling, meditation or prayer services or to receive a sacrament (communion, anointing, reconciliation) during your visit or stay. You or your nurse may request a visit from one of our chaplains, a Catholic priest or Eucharistic minister by calling:
During normal business hours: 203.688.2151
For emergencies, any time: 203.688.3111
Clinical Pastoral Education
For information on our Clinical Pastoral Education programs, visit Training Opportunities.
For More Information
To learn more about the spiritual services offered at YNHH, contact the Spiritual Care department at 203.688.2151.