New YNHHS clinical advancement program recognizes, rewards nurses who excel
Yale New Haven Health System nurses are invited to apply to the new SPIRE clinical nursing advancement program, which recently replaced the clinical ladder programs at different delivery networks.
SPIRE recognizes nurses in five domains:
- Scholar - achieves advanced degrees and/or professional certification, and accomplishes other scholarly work
- Practitioner - excels in providing or leading direct patient care to improve nurse-sensitive outcomes of care
- Innovator - advances collaboration, care coordination and innovative care delivery across the continuum
- Researcher - expands nursing's knowledge base through research and evidence-based practice
- Educator – excels in improving patient, family, community and health team education
SPIRE was developed by a team of nurses, including bedside nurse leaders from throughout YNHHS. The program aims to recognize nurses’ contributions to the health system, support evidence-based practice and improve patient outcomes.
The SPIRE program’s three levels of advancement are core (Tier I), explore (Tier II) and soar (Tier III). All registered nurses are considered Tier I and may apply for Tier II. Their application must include evidence of their activities for the prior 12 months. Tier III activities focus on leadership. Nurses receive financial compensation for achieving Tier II or Tier III status. Annual celebrations across YNHHS will honor tiered nurses for their work.
Full-time, part-time and casual-status nurses may apply for SPIRE online at any time for any tier. Visit https://nursing.ynhh.org/spire (in network only) for information and applications.