Protective Services issues safety tips
Yale New Haven Hospital’s Protective Services department reminds employees to follow these safety tips, during work and on their own time.
- Be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious activity or people.
- In the presence of danger, take evasive action. Never engage with the adversary (for example, find an escape route, change direction, look for other pedestrians, make noise or shout for help.)
- Don’t be preoccupied with your cell phone.
- Use the hospital’s shuttle service when going to and from your vehicle from area surface lots or between campuses.
- Establish a buddy system when walking to and from your vehicle, or request an escort from the Department of Protective Services: YSC, 203-688-2500; SRC, 203-789-3800.
- Use the hospital’s ELERTS See Say™ mobile app (downloading instructions below).
- Whenever possible, park in well-lit areas; and always have keys ready so you can enter your vehicle quickly.
- Scan the interior of your vehicle before getting in, and once inside, immediately lock your doors.
- When alone in an elevator, position yourself at the front and near the control panel, so you can exit immediately or call for help in the event of an emergency.
- Avoid carrying large handbags/totes and try to conceal your jewelry when walking on the street.
- Always wear your employee ID badge above the waist and have it visible at all times.
- If you see something, say something. Call 203-688-7777 (SSSS, See Something, Say Something.) Even if it turns out to be nothing, it’s better to be safe!
ELERTS See Say is a smart phone app that offers YNHH employees a greater safety and security network at work, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Log in to Infor and select the ELERTS link for information on downloading the app to your phone. In an emergency, activate the app to connect directly with YNHH Protective Services.
Protective Services numbers
- York Street Campus: 203-688-2500
- Saint Raphael Campus: 203-789-3800
- In-hospital emergency: dial 155