Civil War soldiers outside of Knight United States Army General Hospital, c. 1865. Photo courtesy of the Yale New Haven Hospital Archives
During the Civil War, the New Haven Hospital leased its buildings and grounds to the Union Army for use as a military hospital. The hospital was named Knight United States Army General Hospital in honor of Dr. Jonathan Knight, board president at the time and a hospital founder. More than 25,000 soldiers were treated at Knight Hospital during the three years it was open, 1862 -1865. A monument and grave site dedicated to the 185 soldiers who died at Knight is in the Evergreen Cemetery of New Haven. Visit the display case in the York Street Campus East Pavilion to learn more about the hospital during the Civil War.