What to Expect as a Patient
At Yale New Haven Children's Hospital, providing quality, expert, innovative care is one of the many reasons we are consistently recognized for being at the forefront of pediatric care among the nation's best children's hospitals.
Yale New Haven Children's Hospital offers a full spectrum of primary and specialized medical care for infants, children and adolescents. You can expect the following from your visit here:
- The experience, expertise and leading-edge care expected from one of the nation’s top hospitals
- Universal access to the latest, clinically-proven techniques, procedures and technologies
- The most comprehensive, compassionate care provided in a comfortable, family-friendly environment
- Leading-edge clinical trials, medical research and healthcare service
- Educational programs and support services for patients and families
- Free services and assistance, including translators and interpreters, hearing-impaired assistance, prescription discounts, wheelchairs, and spiritual care
- An inpatient hospitalist service to coordinate care and ensure the most effective treatment possible
- Multidisciplinary teams who work together to deliver individualized health care programs to meet the unique needs of each patient and family
- A patient- and family-centered philosophy of care that encourages families and caregivers to participate as equal members of our team
- The best and brightest minds in medicine, who are leaders in their fields, engaged in clinical research and always at the forefront of medical technology.
- The latest, clinically-proven techniques, procedures and technology
- The most comprehensive, compassionate care possible in a comfortable, family-friendly, safe and secure environment
Comprehensive, Coordinated Care
Our innovative approach to providing comprehensive, coordinated care relies on maintaining a strong partnership between patients, families and healthcare providers. Our multidisciplinary teams work together to deliver individualized health care programs to meet the unique needs of each patient and family.
A Patient- and Family-centered Philosophy of Care
At the heart of all our services is a patient- and family-centered philosophy of care. We invite families and caregivers to participate as equal members of our team. We believe mutual respect, information sharing, participation and collaboration between patients, family members, caregivers and healthcare providers is key to maintaining health and achieving the best possible outcomes.
At Yale New Haven Children's Hospital, we understand that family members know their loved one better than anyone else. Informed, involved patients and families can offer important information, make better decisions and improve the quality and safety of care. We provide information that patients and families need to make educated decisions about treatment. At the same time, we rely on personal input from families, we support the choices and we respect the decisions patients and families make.
Patient- and family-centered care means involving and responding to patients and families. To do this, we:
- Recognize that each child and each family is unique
- Provide open, honest communication
- Involve the family in the planning, delivery and the evaluation of health care
- Offer a welcoming, supportive environment
- Provide timely and expert care
- Provide access to information and resources
Patient and Family Advisors
We like to involve patients and family members in our Patient- and Family-Centered Care Program. One way is to volunteer to become a Patient and Family Advisor. Patient and Family Advisors help bring the patient and family perspective to our work at Yale New Haven Children's Hospital. Our patient and family volunteers work with staff and other patients and families on a variety of projects and programs to help improve our service and the healthcare experience for everyone.
If you would like more information about becoming involved with the Patient- and Family-Advisor Program, please email the program.
Learn more at The Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care
The Best and Brightest Minds in Medicine
As the primary teaching hospital for Yale School of Medicine, we attract some of the nation's most highly skilled healthcare professionals. This means a diverse, experienced team of physicians, faculty members, nurses, residents and fellows diagnose and design treatment plans to address your individual needs. Leaders in their fields, engaged in clinical research and always at the forefront of medical technology and techniques, our team brings these innovations to the table to offer you the highest quality, most effective care possible.