Spiritual Care staff work closely with other members of the healthcare team, offering spiritual care and support while you or your loved one are in Yale-New Haven Hospital. Our chaplains can help people of different faiths and cultures cope with the stress of illness, injury and being in the hospital.
When to call a chaplain
Chaplains can visit patients and their loved ones at the bedside at any time. A chaplain may be helpful to patients who are:
- Wrestling with medical news or struggling to make sense of an illness
- Finding it hard to hold on to hope and faith or wondering whether God is present and cares
- Struggling with medical decisions and value
- Desiring prayer or a faith-specific ritual
- Needing someone to listen to concerns
- Preparing for a medical procedure or surgery
- Getting information or help with Advance Directive
- Grieving over the loss of a loved one
- In the midst of a crisis
- Hoping to return to spiritual practices that were once meaningful
- Wanting to make peace with a loved one
Places for prayer, reflection or meditation
York Street Campus Chapel
A multi-faith chapel on the first floor of the South Pavilion; open at all times.
- Fridays at noon: Jum’ah prayer
- Sundays at 9:30 am: Roman Catholic Mass
- Christian Holy day services on Christmas, Easter, Ash Wednesday
All services are broadcast on hospital TV channel 49.
Saint Raphael Campus Roman Catholic Chapel
Located on the first floor near the main entrance; open at all times.
- Monday - Friday and Sunday at 7:30 am and noon: Roman Catholic Mass
- Saturday at 4 pm: Roman Catholic Vigil
- Christian Holy day services on Christmas, Easter and Ash Wednesday
All services are broadcast on hospital TV channel 5.
Smilow Healing Garden
An outdoor healing garden on the seventh floor of Smilow Cancer Hospital, York Street Campus; open from 8 am - 5 pm
Smilow Reflection Room
Room 102 on the fourth floor of Smilow Cancer Hospital, York Street Campus; open at all times; 30-minute meditation groups on Tuesdays at 1 and 2 pm
Religious leaders and lay ministers are partners in a patient’s healing experience. Hospital staff welcome and work with community clergy to provide for the spiritual needs of patients and family members.
Community clergy members who wish to visit members of their congregation should obtain a Yale-New Haven Hospital clergy identification badge. Please contact Spiritual Care at the York Street or Saint Raphael campus. Clergy badges are valid at both campuses.
While visiting members of their congregation clergy agree to:
- Wear the hospital issued identification badge
- Protect the confidentiality of patient’s health information
- Abide by all hospital policies and procedures
Clergy visiting patients who are not members of their congregation are considered visitors and must abide by the standard hospital visitation policy, which is to secure a visitor pass at one of the main entrances.
Spiritual Care Institute
The department of Spiritual Care offers an annual Spiritual Healing Institute to members of the clergy in different religious faiths in the community. Participants can deepen their ministry and understanding with an overview of basic spiritual care practice with those who are sick and suffering. The Spiritual Care Institute faculty are YNHH chaplains. The cost per participant is minimal for six consecutive weekly two-hour evening sessions.
- Participation in patient care meetings, family meetings and interdisciplinary team meeting
- Spiritual, values and ethics counseling
- Support groups and memorial services
- Quality education and training for chaplain interns, chaplain residents and healthcare providers through our ACPE-accredited Clinical Pastoral Education program
- Community outreach and support through local clergy and community organizations
Clinical Pastoral Education
For information on our Clinical Pastoral Education programs, visit Training Opportunities.
For More Information
Department of Spiritual Care:
York Street Campus:
20 York Street
New Haven, CT 06510-3202
Saint Raphael Campus:
125 Sherman Avenue
New Haven, CT 06511