Yale-New Haven Hospital provides comprehensive acute care rehabilitation for patients of all ages. Our therapists collaborate with physicians, nurses, and other allied health professionals throughout the hospital to deliver high-quality, individualized occupational, physical and speech therapy services.
Why Choose YNHH
Our therapists work with patients and families—in and out of the hospital—to deliver the most clinically effective, rehabilitation, including:
Therapists provide services in all patient care areas. Treatment programs are developed to meet each patient's individual needs and goals. Therapy is coordinated with the patient, family and other caregivers. Our therapists can assist with:
- Assistive devices and technology
- Pain management
- Prosthetic management
- Safe, purposeful movement
- Activities of daily living
- Adaptive equipment
- Functional activities
- Cognitive and perceptual deficits
- Cognitive deficits
- Communication skills
- Expressive and receptive language impairments
- Hearing impairments
- Swallowing and feeding problems
All three therapies assist with discharge planning and provide patient/family education and home exercise programs when indicated.
As with inpatient services, outpatient rehabilitation is initiated by consult to our departments. We offer several sites, each with a different focus:
Physical and Occupational Therapy
Orthopedic-related physical and occupational therapy services for the management of acute injuries, pain and functional limitations resulting from the following conditions:
- Neck, middle and low back pain/injury
- Upper and lower extremity pain/injury
- Sports injuries
- Carpal tunnel and arthritis
- Pre and post-surgical evaluation and treatment for ACL repair
- Total joint replacement
- Back and neck surgery
- Concussion management
Additional services include:
- Individualized evaluation and treatment plans
- Private treatment rooms
- Biodex system orthopedic testing and rehabilitation
- Balance system testing and training
- Hand therapy/custom splinting
- Education and instruction of home programs
Oncology Physical Therapy
We provide physical therapy to patients with musculoskeletal or lymphatic conditions related to their cancer.
- Lymphedema/decongestive physical therapy
- Pre-operative assessments
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Perometer computerized measurement of limb volume.
We provide physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech-language pathology services to infants, children and young adults.
Please note that the Department of Rehabilitation Services does not provide drug or alcohol rehabilitation. For an emergency relating to drugs or alcohol, dial 911 immediately.