Urology and Women’s Health
Urine leakage and other bladder control issues are common in women, especially those who have had children. But whether it’s from childbirth, menopause or simply the effects of aging, pelvic floor disorders can lead to sometimes embarrassing conditions that can interfere with everyday activities and cause physical and emotional distress.
At Yale New Haven Hospital, expert urologists in female pelvic disorders and urogynecology offer a number of treatments that can help you get back to your active lifestyle. These include treatment for:
- Pelvic organ prolapse, which occurs when the organs of the pelvis fall out of place because supporting tissue is weakened causing a feeling of heaviness or a bulging.
- Stress incontinence from weakened muscles (leakage from a cough, sneeze or activity), or overactive bladder (urgency).
- Urologic oncology covering cancer of the bladder, cervix, kidneys or uterus.
- Kidney stone prevention and treatment, including medical and surgical management, nutrition counseling and lithotripsy, a shock wave treatment to break up stones into fragments.
- Neuro-urology and female urology that covers care for voiding dysfunction and urinary tract conditions such as infections (UTIs).