The Hospital of Saint Raphael
The Saint Raphael Campus is the site of the former Hospital of Saint Raphael, founded by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth in 1907.
The hospital was the combined vision of the Sisters of Charity and a group of local doctors, led by Dr. William Verdi, an internationally renowned surgeon. The faith-based hospital served the needs of individuals of different faiths and cultures. The hospital was named after the archangel Raphael, the Catholic patron saint of healing. The name in Hebrew also means "God heals."
During its century plus of service to the New Haven community, the hospital grew from its original 12 beds to become a 511- bed community teaching hospital.
In the 1950s, Saint Raphael's established its leadership role in cancer and cardiac care by opening southern New England's first radiation therapy center and becoming one of the first New England community hospitals to perform open heart surgery.
It also established a reputation from its founding for delivering compassionate care that respects each person's dignity, consistent with the values and beliefs of the Sisters of Charity.
In September 2012, Yale-New Haven Hospital acquired the Hospital of Saint Raphael, forming a single, 1,541-bed dual-campus hospital in New Haven.