Civil War military hospital, 1862-1865
During the Civil War, the U.S. government leased the hospital for $1,000 a year to use as a military hospital. It was temporarily renamed the Knight United States Army Hospital in honor of Jonathan Knight, one of the original founders of the hospital. Tents were erected on the hospital grounds to accommodate more than 1,500 beds. Regular hospital activities were temporarily moved to rented quarters on Whalley Avenue. Yale-New Haven was on alert as a designated military hospital in every subsequent war.