Skip to main content
Find a DoctorGet Care Now
Skip to main content
Search icon magnifying glass







Visa Information

Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale School of Medicine GME programs accept foreign medical graduates and U.S. medical graduates-foreign nationals into accredited residency and fellowship programs on J-1 visas, F-1 visas or transferring of H1-b visas from a current program to a YNHH or YSM program.

All foreign nationals must obtain proper documentation enabling them to participate in medical educational programs at Yale New Haven Hospital or Yale School of Medicine.

J-1 visa (exchange visitor visa) is intended for residents and fellows to participate in educational exchange programs. Visa holders are required to return to his/her home country at the completion of that program.

Residents applying for a J-1 visa must be eligible for sponsorship per the criteria established by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and must have the following:

  • Valid ECFMG certificate
  • Contract or offer letter from YNHMC program
  • Current statement of need letter from Ministry of Health from country of most recent legal permanent address.

It is the J-1 visa holder's personal responsibility to maintain lawful status while in the U.S. and while in an YNHMC training program.

Application materials can be found on the ECFMG Web site.

By federal statute, there is no moonlighting permitted for residents/fellows on a J-1 visa.

For more information or questions, please contact the House Staff Office at 203-688-2259.