The Hospitalist Service at Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH) consists of Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Oncology and Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) patient care teams. Physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and other health care professionals on these teams work together to care for patients during their hospital stay.
What is a Hospitalist?
If you were admitted to YNHH as a patient, you would be cared for by a Hospitalist, a board-certified physician who specializes in providing and coordinating your care during your hospital stay. Once you leave the hospital, you will be seen by your primary care provider. If you do not have a primary care provider, we will refer you to one in the community for follow-up care.
Hospitalists stay in touch with your doctor during your hospitalization, and provide him or her with a discharge summary report. If a complicated situation arises, we may ask for your physician's participation in the decision-making process.
While you are in the hospital, your Hospitalist will:
- Monitor your care 24 hours a day
- Coordinate care with other hospital medical experts and your primary care provider
- Answer questions that you or your family may have about your treatment
- Schedule tests, prescribe medications and arrange for consultations with other specialists
- Be part of an interdisciplinary team who work with physical therapists, case managers, respiratory therapists, dietitians, nurses and other healthcare professionals to assure that you receive the expertise needed throughout your stay
- Respond to emergencies and quickly address any changing medical needs
- Offer consultations and evaluations for surgery, psychiatry, OB/GYN and other specialty care as needed
Hospitalist Service Teams
The Hospitalist Service teams provide expert, compassionate clinical care in Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Oncology and Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) for the best possible patient care experience. We collaborate seamlessly with patients, their families, primary care providers, specialists and support staff to ensure that every patient receives comprehensive, excellent and efficient care. Effective communication within our Hospitalist Service and with other members of our patient’s care team is a key component of our success.
Hospitalist Service Vision
The Hospitalist Service at Yale New Haven Hospital strives to deliver the highest quality, safest and most efficient medical care to our patients. We aspire to become national leaders in the field of in-patient medical care.
Hospitalist Service Mission
The Hospitalist Service at YNHH is dedicated to providing the highest quality in-patient care. We aim to give superior and compassionate care by collaborating seamlessly with patients, families, primary care providers, specialists and support staff; by fostering education in the field of hospital medicine; and by researching methods for improving the quality of inpatient care.